Guest RichJones

New Course at UWF

49 posts in this topic

Dunno if anyone cares but myself and a friend of mine have played the new course several times since it went up (the first time being a night round). I would say we are either bottom tier advanced to intermediate players. From a hole design standpoint I pretty much love the new course. It is so much more challenging than the old one. The only negatives are lack of concrete tee pads and the proximity to the one major road on the campus.

With the space you guys were given I would say you did a great job. Hopefully there won't be issues with discs and cars

I could really use some data on average shots per hole, so if you guys happen to play a round with a scorecard, please let me know.

Jeff - Fantastic, can't wait to hear what they have to say.

Ryan - Message sent.

Rich - The Sunday Irregulars and I got out there for a round Sunday morning. The score card is at home. When I get there, I'll post our scores for the 12 holes played. Thank you for all you've done in making the transition from one course to the next as quick and painless as possible. I really liked the new holes. I'll comment more when I have the score card in front of me. Matt D

Dunno if anyone cares but myself and a friend of mine have played the new course several times since it went up (the first time being a night round). I would say we are either bottom tier advanced to intermediate players. From a hole design standpoint I pretty much love the new course. It is so much more challenging than the old one. The only negatives are lack of concrete tee pads and the proximity to the one major road on the campus.

With the space you guys were given I would say you did a great job. Hopefully there won't be issues with discs and cars

I definitely care! We've put a lot of time and energy in to the course, and it's very rewarding to know that you guys are enjoying it!

There's still a lot of tweaking to be done before we do anything permanent, but we definitely plan on installing proper tee pads.

Which hole(s) are you worried about being near roads? I'd be interested to hear about any errant throws you've seen.

Rich - The Sunday Irregulars and I got out there for a round Sunday morning. The score card is at home. When I get there, I'll post our scores for the 12 holes played. Thank you for all you've done in making the transition from one course to the next as quick and painless as possible. I really liked the new holes. I'll comment more when I have the score card in front of me. Matt D

Matt - Thanks, so glad you like it!

Did you happen to notice a substantial change in the amount of time it took you guys to play the round vs the old 18?

I'm looking forward to reviewing the data you've collected, should prove very helpful.

I want to see a raised basket on hole 11, there is a orange flag at the end of the path before it drops off the hill. That would be the perfect pin placement in my opinion.

Also on Hole 6 and Hole 7 both from the pro tee. I noticed easy Right hand flick routes on the left side that throws over the road and back inbounds on both shots. I think maybe add a mando so everyone is forced to keep their throw in the fairway or change the pad location just a little to eliminate the routes going over roads.

Rich, I think the biggest thing we got out of our group was the teepad situation, but I did explain that more feedback was needed before something permanent showed up. Overall, I believe the difficulty level was not what anyone had expected since this is the most elevation we're used to playing, lol. I think right now, having better tee markers for both the am and pro pads would definitely help. We saw what was left of some of the paint and the ones that were marked with either concrete posts and wooden blocks. We mainly played what was marked or where I recalled throwing from.

Matt - Thanks, so glad you like it!

Did you happen to notice a substantial change in the amount of time it took you guys to play the round vs the old 18?

I'm looking forward to reviewing the data you've collected, should prove very helpful.

First off, I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread (probably has been and I just missed it) but the map on post #6 of this thread has the hole numbers wrong. What's shown as hole one on the map is actually hole 6. Hole 2 on the map is actually hole 7, hole 3 is hole 8, and so on.

We had 6 people in our group last Sunday morning. We started on hole one on the map, which is actually hole 6. We are all lower level to mid level amateur golfers. We played Am boxes with each hole a par 3. Our best score for 12 holes was a plus 5. We also had a plus 9, 3 at plus 11, and one at plus 12. I'm sure those scores will come down once we're a little more familiar with the new holes. The only shot to land in the road was a drive from the Am box on hole 6 that was shanked hard right.

It took us almost as long to play the new 12 holes as it did to play the entire 18 on the old course.

I'm very happy to see the elevation put to good use. Can't wait to get out there and throw it again.

Just in from a round with Gator John. We played the new 12 from mostly am tees. He finished even, I was 4 over.

Ben and I will be out there today at around noon if anyone would care to join us for a round or 2.

Here is the latest map:

UWF-New-12-Rough.jpg

I finally got to play the new layout. I really liked it!

I shot a +1 with 2 birdies. I should've been -1, but my putting is terrible. I loved the mixture of shots. A couple tough holes to 3, some must birdie holes and some fun elevation. Most of the holes were pretty easy to find, but some directional signs are definitely needed. We definitely need some clearing around the tee pads, and in the rough. Some of those holes are rough if you get off the fairway.

On a side note, I chained out on hole 11. It was so close to staying in for an ace.

I had the chance to play and map this course on Sunday with some beautiful weather. I really like the new layout.I was going to remove the old course from my maps but noticed at least a couple old baskets still in place. I know number 3 was still there, maybe more? Does anyone know which baskets from the old course are still there? Otherwise I just remove the whole old course. You can see what I mapped here:

http://www.thegolfcoursecatalog.com/CourseReview.html

I'll need to get back out there soon.

I believe 3-8 are still in the old location. I know there is 6 that weren't moved

I had the chance to play and map this course on Sunday with some beautiful weather. I really like the new layout.I was going to remove the old course from my maps but noticed at least a couple old baskets still in place. I know number 3 was still there, maybe more? Does anyone know which baskets from the old course are still there? Otherwise I just remove the whole old course. You can see what I mapped here:

http://www.thegolfcoursecatalog.com/CourseReview.html

I'll need to get back out there soon.

Matt,

Looks like on a couple of holes ,you mapped from the Pro Tees, like #1 and possibly #7, possibly #10, The Am Tees are a lot shorter.

Are you planning on mapping Am and Pro Tees for all of the courses?

BTW.. Awesome job! That is an awesome map, very cool that you can click on a line and walk through the entire hole like street view

I try to map all the holes from the pros. I figure the flight path isn't all that different and many times I walk right by the am tees. Accuracy is at best 3m with a phone so. But the option exists to collect both.I have yet to give it a try. Still trying to find time to improve functionality of the app itself. But thanks.glad you like the results. Do you have any knowledge about the status of the old holes?

Thanks Ryan,I missed your post about 3-8 before I replied

I put a Champion Valkyrie on the roof of the building just past basket #11. It has my name and phone number on it and I'd love to get it back.

Please let me know if anybody gets it down.

Thanks,

Matt D

Finally played the new course. It was a little challenging to know what was going on as far as which area to tee from so I ended up playing a mix of tees. By the end of the round I figured out that the yellow concrete posts were the Am tees. Finding the next hole often led me to a small expedition but I was able to find them all. The elevation is awesome to play on and I liked holes #1,5,7,10. Shot a bogey free -5 and will try the red Pro tees next.

Yeah the pro Tees definitely add a lot more difficulty on this one.

Hole # 1 from the Pro Tees is pretty beastly to start off with...

Is there a red tee on every hole?

Is there a red tee on every hole?

According to the map below yes..

UWF-New-12-Rough.jpg

I don't recall seeing multiple tees on 2 and 3, but I could be wrong. Pretty sure all of the rest have them though.