Guest RichJones

New Course at UWF

49 posts in this topic

12\18\2014 update, see post #21

Hello all, my name's Rich and I work for UWF in the department of Outdoor Adventures. As you know, construction on the new football facility will soon displace our current disc golf course. I am involved with the design and installation of a new course, and I'd like to give you an unofficial update.

The old course has to be removed by January 1. We have received approval to place a new course east of the welcome center, in the area west of Campus Lane and bordered on the north and south by different sections of Campus Drive. Unfortunately, this area does not have adequate space for 18 quality holes. Our plan is to open 12 holes in this area before the first of January, and add six more holes across Campus Lane by spring. Special attention was paid to avoiding areas with future building plans: the majority of the course should be unmolested for at least several decades, and the loss of one or two holes can be remedied with minimal rerouting.

For the 12 holes in Phase 1, there will be pro and am tees on every hole. Nine of the fairways are already in place, and the Landscaping Department will be removing brush and small diameter trees this week to create the other three.

Phase 2, the six hole section, will run through a forested area that features a nice canopy and relativity light undergrowth and has some very nice topography.

Tee and pin placement still needs to be worked out (we'll be inviting you folks to be a part of that in the next few weeks) but based on the nine defined fairways that we have, I can give you an idea of how the course will play.

From the am tees, the holes average 220 feet, about 5% shorter than our current course average. The pro tees add an average of 95 feet to each hole. The 12 hole course we'll have in place on January 1 will only be 300 feet shorter than our current 18 hole course.

We plan to have multiple holes of greater than 400 feet, one of which will be 35 feet uphill. In addition to the length, the fairways will be much narrower than the current course, and several have significant ceilings. We expect this course to be noticeably more difficult than the one it is replacing, and we think you'll find it far more interesting as well.

All the heavy clearing should be done by December 11, and once that is complete, I'd love to show you around and get your input on tee and pin placement.

I'll use this thread to share updates with you, and if you have any questions, I'll be happy to try answering them for you.

Rich,

Is this the proposed area you were referring to?

post-20-0-86184300-1417967947_thumb.png

Thanks for posting and asking our opinion on pin placement.

Our club would love to help to provide feedback.

Glad that these holes will have both Am and Pro holes.

It would be great if you can offer a good mix of left turning holes, right turning holes, and straight shots.

Also it would be awesome if once the course gets good feedback on it, that you guys could install concrete teepads.

Also if it is possible it would be nice to have at least 1 open hole at a good distance at minimum, so you can air out your disc.

Thanks Rich for the update. I know a lot of us were wondering what was gonna happen at UWF. Glad to see that Disc Golf won't be going away and in fact making an improvement with a more challenging course. Look forward to hearing more updates,. Keep posting them here and if any other help is needed, I'm sure we can get some members together to help out!

Is this the proposed area you were referring to?

attachicon.gifProposed UWF Course Area.PNG

That's part of it, 9 of the fairways are in that frame. Three of the holes are to the west around the Professional Studies building, and Phase 2 is to the east.

It would be great if you can offer a good mix of left turning holes, right turning holes, and straight shots.

Also it would be awesome if once the course gets good feedback on it, that you guys could install concrete teepads.

Also if it is possible it would be nice to have at least 1 open hole at a good distance at minimum, so you can air out your disc.

Agreed on all points.

The 9 fairways that we have in place now don't need strong hyzer/anny off the tees, but their narrowness and topography will force you to shape your drives. Phase 2 will give us more opportunities to create fairways from scratch, so I intended to have a lot of doglegs there.

Permanent tee pads are definitely something we want once we are confident the tee locations won't change.

There isn't anything quite as open as the current hole 10 (which runs along the edge of the athletic fields), but we've made it a point to route the longest holes up hill so that they play as long as possible, and I think even the best huckers will find these holes daunting.

Ok, so hopefully this map incorporates at least Phase 1 correct?

post-20-0-74123600-1418049922_thumb.png

Another major point of consideration is how close the fairways are to each other,

and make sure that no students will get whacked by a disc.

Just wanted to make sure that as much as possible discs aren't landing in other fairways or close

to students walking...

If you could GPS the proposed teepads and basket locations, I could create a map for you guys so that we can

quickly spot potential issues?

Or if you can just draw in Microsoft Paint or and just do a screen capture of google maps, and draw in the potential teepad/basket locations,

and I can take that and draw it up in my program I use to create maps.

Here's a rough outline showing the holes from the pro(blue) and am(yellow) tees. It's not an exact representation, but does give a general idea of the layout. Phase 2 will slot in between holes 3 and 4.

The clearing for holes 3,4,and 5 began this morning and should be complete by Tuesday evening. These areas were previously completely impassable on foot, so we had no idea what the terrain would be like, but we've been pleasantly surprised at the topography that's been uncovered.

When are you folks available to walk the course? Mornings work best for me, but I can shuffle things around if necessary.

I'm available Wednesday morning. Will be heading out to Milton, so it's on my way. 9-930 a good time?

Rich, I want to walk the new setup with you whenever you get a chance. Friday or Saturday would be good for me.

Rich,

I probably won't be able to walk the course, but I was able to drive by some of the area during lunch.

Here are some initial thoughts:

Parking?

Where are non- UWF students supposed to park?

Looks like most of the parking spots by Hole 1 are for Faculty and Staff 7AM to 4:30PM Monday - Friday

Hole 1 - This looks too close to the road, I was mainly looking at the Pro Tee Position, and plus there is a drainage ditch filled with water, unless you are wanting that to come into play.

The fairway isn't quite large enough in my opinion,I think amateurs will throw into oncoming cars, or if you hit off an early tree into the road.

But I think people are going to be throwing too close to the road and near cars parked in the parking lots.

Hole 2 looked pretty decent, except maybe a bit too many trees, but I wasn't able to walk it...

You weren't kidding about holes 3,4,5,6 that is some thick stuff in there! But looks like if they can do some clearing, not only the fairways

but off the fairway a bit so people can find discs easier that would be great

I didn't get to drive by holes 7,8,910

I am a little concerned about holes 11 and 12 with people walking down the sidewalks in between buildings, seems pretty dangerous to me...

Man that is a lot of crazy elevation! That will be really cool to finally have some elevation change on a course in our area,

I was looking at holes 4,5,6 specifically.. lots of potential!

Suggestions:

Maybe get rid of Hole1, and make Hole #2 the first place to throw from.

Looks like You could add an extra hole after basket # 4 in the woods to the left to make up the missing hole.

I know you want to start and end in the same place, but I think Hole #1 is going to cause too many safety issues...

jcas (Jeff) - Sounds good, I'll send you a message with my contact info.

TommyM - I will be available this week before 12:30, all day Saturday, and after 3:30 on Sunday. Let me know what works for you.

James - You voice the same very legitamate concerns we heard throughout the project proposal process from the risk management folks; as we told them, you really have to walk the fairways to see just how much the foliage and topography act to contain errant drives. We've had several hundred drives made by players of varying skill levels, and not one has entered the airspace over the road. I feel this course is all much less sketchy than our current hole 5, the one surrounded by parked cars, which I'm always surprised has zero reported car damage, and the holes (maybe 15 & 16?) that run parallel to the road.

Re: parking, it should be said that the hole numbers are a bit arbitrary; hole 1 is probably not going to be the starting point. For now, parking will be in lot Z, just north of Building Services on the right side of the map above.

The contractor finished clearing 3, 4, and 5 today, and the topography has us very excited. Hole 5 in particular is lovely: around 350 feet, a gentle right turn throughout, up hill about 25 feet, with a fairway sloping from left to right. Can't wait to tee it up!

If you have limited time for lunch, I can drive you around so we don't have to walk.

Rich,

1) So people even threw from the Pro Tee and never landed in the street or parking lot for Hole 1?

Just wondering also how much the drainage ditch comes into play from the Pro tee...

2) So if we are parking next to the Multi-Purpose Field, should you renumber the holes to start 1 right across from the parking lot?

So Hole 8 would actually be Hole 1 and then Hole 7 would be Hole 12? That would make more sense to me...

Thanks for the offer, I might try and see if I can stop by this week, but I am expecting a baby girl any day now, so I most likely won't be able

to walk or drive the course...

Thanks again for letting our club provide some feedback on this course. Larry James who used to be a part of our club did TONS of work

on the current course, hand clearing tons of holes and helping with basket placement and location.

I am a UWF alumni as well, and our club wants to see disc golf explode at UWF!

Ok, so this morning I had the pleasure of meeting Rich and Shaun(sp?) out at UWF. They graciously walked me through the proposed layout of the new 12 holes that are going in the ground next week. These 2 guys are excited about the new course and they have every right to be. I left UWF just as excited as they are and cannot wait for this new course to be installed and ready for play. This new layout is going to bring us something that we're not used to and that's ELEVATION!!!! You will just have to see for yourself.

Now, I threw on the holes that may be thought of as troublesome both from Pro and Am positions. Gonna try and go through the ones that I threw and give my thoughts:

Keep in mind that the numbering of the holes is not permanent and will most likely be changed due to where parking will be located. So for the simplicity of this post, I'm going to use the number system that is on the aerial map above.

Hole 1- Pro box was up by where the white van is parked in the aerial view. The drainage ditch was dry for the most part. Easily manageable to cross. I threw 2 drives and neither one of them threatened going in the road. Even an errant shot to the right would have some trees to get through to make it to the road. Only possibility would be a high spike hyzer, but that shot wouldn't give you a chance at a good look to the basket. From the AM pad, I took 2 shots as well. RHBH with a mid-range and a forehand shot with a driver. Once again, the road wasn't a factor and the direction of travel was away from the parking lot taking that out of play as well. Overall, it's an awesome hole and should be kept in place.

Hole 2- From the Pro pad, low ceiling shot that needs an overstable disc to make the turn. After getting around the bend, then it's a straight tunnel shot to the basket. If I remember correctly, there is a parking area along the left of the fairway, but shouldn't come into play. If it does, it's not a heavily used area anyhow.

Hole 3- This is one of the new fairways that has just been cleared out 2 days ago, so the ground is still rough. It's a nice downhill shot that will require a straight to slight turnover shot. I threw a couple and even hit an early tree that went across the sidewalk right, but nowhere close to the road at that point.

Hole 4- Another one of the new fairways. All I can say about this one is....it's a BEAST!!! Hole length was around 350', but plays uphill initially, then back downhill to the pin. If I remember correctly, from where the Pro pad is to the crest of the hill is a 40' difference in elevation. Yes, it's that crazy of elevation change right here in the panhandle. Am pad is near the crest of the hill and will most likely require a forehand or turnover shot for the RH player.

Hole 5- Didn't throw this one, but enjoyed the climb to the basket. Another uphill shot from the Pro pad. Slight turn to the right, easy turnover shot in the fairway. Must stay in the fairway on this hole. It's to thick to traverse through the rough right now. I'm sure as time passes, it'll get worn down like most of them do. Very picturesque hole in my opinion.

Hole 6- There was some discussion on this hole as far pin location. Right now it's set to be about 270-280, requiring a slight turnover. The pin will be set on a hillside behind the building. Makes for a good putting challenge. Another option that was discussed was setting a pin off to the right that would require a forehand or lefty hyzer. My one concern with the pin being in the longer position was that an errand kick from a tree could send your disc onto Hole 9's green. I threw both locations, both shots can be made and it's a toss up in my opinion as to where it should go.

Hole 7- This one will require a MANDO to avoid the building and parking lot coming into play. Shots from both the Pro and AM pads will require a left to right. Fun hole though throwing from an elevated tee box to a lower green.

Hole 8- Didn't throw this one, but it's pretty cut and dry.....LONG and UPHILL!! Fairway is well defined and with mature trees surrounding it.

Hole 9- This one was of some concern since the sidewalk is in play. From the info that Rich and Shaun gave me, that sidewalk is rarely used. Also, a simple check looking up the fairway and you can see well past the basket location and see if any pedestrians are present. Threw this hole and it's a soft turnover, finish left hole.

Hole 10- Another cut and dry hole. Didn't throw this one, but it's straight, slightly uphill. Parking lot on the right is guarded by a bunch of trees and don't think it'll be a factor. Even for the lefties.

Hole 11- Threw this hole from the Pro pad. Requires a drive through a tight gap that hyzers at the end onto the "island". I use island lightly though, even though a road completely surrounds it, it's a very large landing area. Fun hole though!

Hole 12- From the Pro pad, you'll need to throw a straight, tunnel shot. I used a Tursas and hyzer flipped it through the tunnel. There is a wide hyzer route, which I also threw, but wouldn't be an ideal shot if vehicles are parked along the road on the right. There is also a retaining wall just left of the pin that would be OB if beyond.

Hopefully my notes help out. You guys really need to see it for yourselves though to take it all in. I parked in Lot Z, which is the parking lot across from the Printing Services Building. I believe that Hole #8 on the aerial view will become Hole #1 and the rest just in order. Parking will be in Lot Z when the course is ready.

On another note....

The old course MUST be removed by next Friday, 12/19. Starting on Monday, 12/15, baskets will be removed from the old location and set in the ground of the new location. If any ECDGC member is available to assist, your help is much appreciated and encouraged. Rich will be active in the forums and updating us on what is taking place and if help is needed.

I do need to add that these 12 holes are just Phase 1. Phase 2 will include the remaining 6 holes, which may also require some renumbering of holes. Just remember that this is a work in progress and things can still be changed if enough people voice an opinion. Concrete pads have been discussed, but they want enough people to play the holes before a permanent location is decided upon.

Thanks Jeff! Glad you got to walk through it.

looks like most holes are good to go!

Rich, Jeff, & James,

This is the coolest thing I have heard since leaving the area! There is so much potential here that I only wish I could be a part of. But I would still suggest the same whether I was there or not.

Being that there is so much potential on this land, and by potential I mean elevation and beautiful scenery. Which I could only imagine what you saw on the 10th of Dec. Jeff.

I have to suggest something that I believe in, and that is John Houck course design. If you all would take the time to view Selah Ranch on his web site (which I have played and is a champion level course) annnnd is amazing to play!!!! I beg you to take the time to see his reputation of courses he designed and the high level tournaments played in. On another note, it is a huge sale for UWF as another sport that will attract students. If you don't believe me, ask and I will show that in another post. I am 100% certain that what this has to offer, not only by the aerial maps, will make this course a professional level course. He will make a potential course champion level, I have played many of his and can attest to it. However the cost is also something to be discussed.

Rich, I really don't want you to take this like I don't like your layout or your course design! I like it, please don't take it any other way. If Jeff saw it and he says great things, I'm all about it. The only reason I am bringing this up, is that there is so much potential at UWF that I believe every disc golfer in the area can see. I also believe that the funding to do something like this is available. I'm not saying that UWF is made of money, rather I am saying that if it is proposed correctly it would be an easy sell. I understand time is now unfortunately not on our side. But it could still happen "if" the names mentioned above wanted it to happen. I love the saying, "go big or go home." Which is still completely in play right now!!!!! Honestly, without applying any pressure, I hope that ALL 3 of you consider this option before you finalize anything (if you can have an influence). Regardless, I am sure that I will love what I see when I make it back there. I love all of you!!

Chaz!!!!! We miss you bro.

Yeah that designer guy looks pretty awesome:

http://www.houckdesign.com/

I think UWF wasn't thinking that big, they just wanted to do it cheap in house....

But I am so glad they at least wanted to keep the course!

Yeah. The level of course design was discussed when we met a few months ago. Ultimately, the college wants to accomplish 2 things. Make the course visible, and make it fun for their students. A championship level course would have to be located elsewhere, away from the center of campus. It would also deter some beginner players, which is one of the major demographics of most students.

The other thing I was surprised to find out at that meeting, was a lot of the land the university owns is low lying marshland. It looks like they have TONS of land to use, but the majority of it is either unusable, or has plans for future buildings.

I know at the meeting we had, it was discussed that the future holes(after the current 12) would hopefully have some added challenges and features that would make for a great compliment for the course. I am glad that they decided to incorporate 2 tees. I thought that was the best way to allow for a mixture of players to love the new layout. On a side note, I am off all week next week. I'd like to make it out one day to take a look at everything/provide a few hours of assistance if needed.

Keep us posted!

I plan on going up there on the 17th again to at least help out with moving baskets if needed. That's the next day I'm off next week.

I just wanted to throw that info out there, it was worth a shot anyways. I did not know they had a lack of land, and I get it now. I guess I should have added your name in my post Ryan, my bad. Regardless, sounds awesome and I can't wait to play it. I miss all ya'll too. hopefully I will see you soon. James- you da man!

The first 12 baskets are in! Went out and threw them today and really enjoyed the new layout. Still a lil rough around the edges, but once the foot traffic increases should shape up nice.

*Update*

As Jeff said, all 12 of the baskets of Phase I are now installed! We are working to get them numbered correctly and the tees labeled, which should be completed by Friday. Signage with fairway maps will be coming after the holidays, but in the meantime, we'll be spray painting arrows on the ground to direct people to the next tee. So if you see anyone looking confused, please point them toward the next hole. :)

The old course still has a loop of 6 holes, so if you want to play there, just complete holes 3-7 and then throw across the field to the basket for the former hole 10. These baskets will be removed once Phase II is ready to be installed, which should be in the next few months.

There are a few holes that have nearly impassible rough; you may want to bring some hand held loppers with you until the common misfire spots get trimmed up. Also, it will take a while for the newly-cleared fairways to get clean enough to grow grass, but you can help out by tossing anything you see that's larger than a couple inches diameter into the rough.

Some of the pin locations are likely to move (2 & 11 are strong candidates) so after you've played the course enough to have a grasp on the different landing spots, wind tendencies, etc, let us know if you have any suggestions. A local Boy Scout troop has offered to make some benches for us, so if you have a spot that you find yourself wishing you could rest for a few, let me know where it is.

We'll be out working on the course for the next few days, so if you see anyone in a black "REC STAFF" shirt, give us a shout and let us know what you think of the course so far!

Rich, great job. I was hoping that the new course would go in quick. Just didn't want to see the stadium project get started and the baskets end up in a pile behind a warehouse. Hope to come see it soon.

Had a group of 9 that went out and played this morning. I asked them to provide some feedback on the forum and hopefully they'll do so soon.

Hey Rich,

Can you please message me or post a contact email address for yourself. I have a couple of questions. Thanks!

I could really use some data on average shots per hole, so if you guys happen to play a round with a scorecard, please let me know.

Jeff - Fantastic, can't wait to hear what they have to say.

Ryan - Message sent.